The significant red ring battles are always huge media events that are discussed by everyone, regardless of their experience or understanding of the sport. Even total, overwhelming enthusiasm for football is not able to throw boxing in the shade and steal the show. That is why boxing betting is becoming increasingly popular for a wide range of bettors. But, spectacularity, provided with various fighting styles, is not the only reason. The betting odds are some of the highest in the industry. That means you can win a lot here by placing real-money bets online.
If you want to be a big winner, just investigate the subject, learn how to read boxing betting odds, and benefit from the opportunities suggested on the market.
Quick Jump ⇣
- What are Boxing Betting Odds and Why You Should Understand Them
- How Boxing Betting Odds Work
- How to Determine Possibilities Using Boxing Betting Odds
- Most Popular Online Boxing Bets
- Where to Bet on Boxing?
- Boxing Betting Tips and Strategies
- Common Boxing Betting Mistakes
- Final Words and Factors to Be Considered for Success
What are Boxing Betting Odds and Why You Should Understand Them
Betting odds show a wager and a win (or a loss) for a bettor. In boxing, you can decide on the outcome, choosing between yes or no in a diversity of variations. Sportsbooks can offer their customers to bet on whether:
- A knockdown will come or will not come in the fight (here, the choice of the fighter is of no importance).
- Is the draw possible or not?
- During the bout, whether or not a point deduction will be made.
- Any fighter will submit or not submit in the boxing match.
There are lots of issues to guess, and you can choose any offer. But, first, you’d better get a comprehensive idea of the rules and know that your bet comes with lots of opportunities. You can get various amounts based only on the size of your wager.
Also, you should know that boxing betting lines are not constant. The sportsbook shows the current odds and changes them before the fight begins and even during the event. This interference depends on several factors, including the bettors’ choices. If there are a lot of bets or a lot of money placed on a particular outcome, as most bettors suppose that this outcome is highly probable, the line can be changed. In such a way, a bookmaker prevents big losses. For this reason, professionals who understand the sport can worsen the odds. And on the contrary, betting at the sites used mostly by dummies can provide you with favorable lines.
It is essential to know the right moment to place a bet to get the best value. You should decide whether to bet right now or wait.
How Boxing Betting Odds Work
There are various types of odds. In boxing, a moneyline is usually used. Also, there are various formats for the odds. And here you will commonly find the American one. Let’s consider what it means and how the boxing betting odds work.
A moneyline bet is a choice between a winner and a loser. In other words, a bettor should decide which athlete will win regardless of any other conditions. Or if he wants, he can place a bet on a loser. The score and other details do not matter. Some sportsbooks offer the third option referred to as a “draw”. Thus, you can place a bet on the draw, on a winner, or on a loser.
A moneyline means that you are expected to place a bet to win (or lose) under the conditions specified by a bookmaker for a particular outcome. The number comes with a “plus” or “minus” sign. The negative number indicated a favorite, whereas the positive number indicated an underdog—a boxer that is expected to lose. This format is known as the American one. More about the definitions of these betting terms can be found in our Glossary.
Fighter 1 (+200).
It means that this fighter is predicted as the one who is going to lose the fight. If you place a bet on him, you should deposit $100. If he loses, you will get your winning, which is equal to $200, and receive your deposit ($100) back. Your total payout will be $300 (=$200+$100).
Fighter 2 (-150).
It means that this fighter is predicted as the one who is going to win the fight. If you bet on him, you should deposit $150. If he wins, you will get your winnings, which is equal to $100, and receive your initial stake ($150) back. Your total payout will be $2,500 (=$150+$100).
Still, you can find other formats like British (fractional) odds and European (decimal) odds. Some sportsbooks allow their users to switch between all available types. The value will not change. The difference is in reading only. In our betting odds explanation, you can get more information about this.
Also, you should know that if the chances of a favorite to win (or an underdog to lose) are high, your winnings will be lower (a sportsbook offers low odds). The higher the risk of being mistaken about an outcome, the larger the amount you can win.
How to Determine Possibilities Using Boxing Betting Odds
So, now let’s look at the ways to use the above knowledge to choose the most favorable odds. We recommend converting the odds to percentages and calculating the probability of the outcome in this way.
When is it Better to Pick the Favorite to Win?
If you see such a line: Fighter 1 (- 300), you know you are expected to bet $300 to win $100. The fighter’s odds can be represented as 1 out of 3. To get percentages, you should divide 1 by 3 and multiply by 100. The result is 1/3×100 = 33%.
When you see a line like “Fighter 2 (- 200),” you know you have to bet $200 to win $100. The fighter’s odds can be represented as 1 out of 2. To get the percentage, you should divide 1 by 2 and multiply by 100. The result is 1/2×100 = 50%.
You can say that Fighter 2 has higher winning chances compared with Fighter 1. That is why you will win a smaller amount, but at the same time, your risks of losing are lower.
When is it Better to Pick the Underdog to Win?
When you place a bet on an underdog, the calculation is different.
If you see a line: Fighter 1 (+ 300), you know you are expected to bet $100 to win $300. The fighter’s odds can be represented by the fact that he has three times the chance of losing. By converting these odds to a percentage, you will get an idea of the probability. It is better to place a bet if the fighter has over a 25% chance of winning.
Most Popular Online Boxing Bets
There are seven popular boxing betting lines. Let’s have a look at them.
To Win Boxing Bets
The to-win bet is the most common one. Just decide on an athlete you believe will win the fight. This is a nice boxing bet.
Group Round Betting
Here you should choose the group of rounds needed to finish the fight. You are not expected to decide on an accurate number. Just choose a range, picking a varied number of rounds, like a group of 2 rounds (from 1 to 2) or a group of 6 rounds (from 1 to 6). This approach will pay better as you are expected to make more accurate predictions.
Specific Round Bets
Let’s go deep down. You are suggested to predict the exact round in which the fight is going to end. The winning amount will be really large if your guess is right.
Number of Rounds (Over/Under)
A boxing match, as you may know, is divided into rounds that last for regular periods of time with pauses in between. You can bet on the assumption that the fight is shorter or longer compared with the round you specify. This is referred to as over/under betting, which is not about a win but about the number of rounds of the match.
The fight is listed with an over/under of 8.5 rounds.
It means you are suggested to choose “over” if you believe that the fight will continue up to the 9th round or longer, or to choose “under” if you believe that the fight will be over before the 8th round.
Total Rounds Betting
The “total rounds” line means that a bettor is suggested to place a bet on the duration of a fight. You are not expected to predict the score, winner, or loser. Just guess the total number of rounds the fight will last and get your winning prize. The sportsbooks usually set numbers restricting the chances.
Method of Victory Bets
You should know the method of victory. The bettor is advised to select a reason for the fight’s conclusion. There is no need to guess the winner. It may be either of two athletes. But, the decision of a judge declaring the end of the fight does matter. There are lots of them. The bettors involved in this sport know the details for sure. For instance, you can choose between the following:
- TKO (technical knockout), which means a fighter is unable to continue the fight.
- Knock out (KO), which occurs when a fighter is knocked down and does not continue before the 10-count.
- Opponent retired (RTD) occurs when a fighter doesn’t return to his corner before the next round begins for any reason.
- Opponent Disqualified (DQ) occurs when a fighter fouled an opponent.
- Unanimous Decision (UD) of all judges to announce a winner after the scheduled rounds have finished.
- Split decision (SD) of two judges to choose a winner after the scheduled rounds with one judge choosing another fighter as a winner.
- Majority decision (MD) of two judges to choose a winner after the scheduled rounds with one judge insisting on a draw.
Double Chance Boxing Bets
Do not be fooled by the word “double” here. This kind of betting will not double your winnings. Indeed, it comes with higher payouts. But, as you know, the larger amount of winning is possible, the higher the risks you bear. You are expected to guess the winner and the way he gets victory by the above methods, including TKO/KO or Decision. Commonly, the variations come with various boxing betting odds.
Where to Bet on Boxing?
Of course, understanding the peculiarities of boxing betting will help in winning, but there are no guarantees at all. Just do your best to improve your winning chances by applying the tips we have been mentioning above and the strategies that we’ll tell you below. Another important recommendation is to prefer a reputable website with competitive boxing odds and lines.
As far as the sportsbooks changing the odds in accordance with the current situation and the choices of other bettors, you should consider several bookmakers and prefer the most favorable conditions. Besides, consider the following issues when you decide on a betting site:
- A good reputation that demonstrates a service provider’s dependability.
- An availability of bonuses.
- Diverse and convenient payment options.
- Guarantees of secure betting with protected transactions.
- Technical issues that suit your requirements.
- Friendly interface, comprehensive layout, and simple navigation.
- Friendly and competent customer support.
You can count on finding sportsbooks that meet the above requirements on our website. Look through the diverse offers and find the most favorable conditions and the best odds in our reviews.
Now, you know what should be considered. Just apply your knowledge and choose the appropriate sportsbooks to place a bet on, which will bring you winnings. Go ahead and enjoy your big money!
Boxing Betting Tips and Strategies
Once again, increase your winning chances by following the following tips:
- Find the best odds. There are odd comparison services. Use them to facilitate the search.
- Take into account match betting and arbitrage betting. These options will not bring a lot of money, but they almost guarantee a profit (the difference is in using or not using a free bet).
- Pay attention to expert predictions, who know the environment, understand boxing better than you, and know a lot about the upcoming fights.
- Do not try to start with large wagers. It is better to take small wins. When the strategy is polished, try riskier bets.
- Do research to make predictions. Do not count on favorites only.
- Remember that a majority can impact the odds when a lot of bettors predict the same outcome, they make a sportsbook change the odds.
- Don’t follow others’ opinions without reason, as they can make mistakes in their predictions. It is better to check twice.
Common Boxing Betting Mistakes
You should know about these mistakes to avoid them. Here are the most important don’ts:
- Don’t bet without understanding the sport. Boxing is an engrossing sport, and you will definitely enjoy learning more about it if you want to make money from boxing betting. Make an effort to know the fighters, rules, and common boxing styles.
- Don’t bet only on one fighter or your favorite boxer. Even if the athlete proves to be one of the best, there are fights where he may not be good enough. Evaluate the outcome in a critical fashion.
- Don’t disregard the fighter’s physical capacities and well-being. His conditions outside the ring can result in a shift of balance, which impacts his chance of winning.
- Don’t forget about the budget. You should not exceed the specified limits for betting. Setting a budget is very crucial. How to do this we’ve explained in our 10 golden betting rules.
Final Words and Factors to Be Considered for Success
Boxing is not an easily predicted sport. But, still, you can place a bet with your eyes open if you find out more about the fighters and their statistics. You’d better understand the boxing style of both competitors and consider external factors.
Fighting history is another piece of information worthy of your attention. The fighter may have a perfect reputation, but he has never faced a rival like the current one. It means that his winning chances are different. Compare their age, weight, and height—every detail does matter. The physical shape can change dramatically and become a reason for the failure of a fighter who was successful in the past.
If you want to get money on boxing betting, stay tuned to the news in this sport, read the analysts’ reviews, look through the correspondent forums, and do not forget about the above rules and tips. We wish you good luck, frequent wins, and enjoyment!
How are boxing betting odds calculated?
The betting odds are calculated by the analysts of the sportsbooks, who consider a wide range of factors impacting the outcome. In addition to the probability, the odds include the margin of a bookmaker, which consists of his income and risk management. You should know that the odds are adjusted after they are released to encourage the bettors.
What is the most popular bet for boxing?
The winner bet is the most common one in this sport but without limits. You can try any other variant, like the method of victory or round betting.
What does +500 mean in boxing odds?
+500 is the so-called American odds. They show the amount a bettor will get if he bets $100 on an underdog – a fighter who is supposed to lose in the fight.
How often do Favorites win in boxing?
In order to understand the chances of a favorite, it is recommended to calculate the probability using the odds. If the percentage is equal to 80% or exceeds this performance, the winning chances are very high.
What does 3-way mean in betting boxing?
There is a 3-way bet in boxing betting. It means that a bettor has three options to choose from. This is one of the simplest betting formats. The bettor should decide on a winner, a loser, or a draw. Here, the odds are commonly higher compared with 2-way bets.
Can people bet on live boxing matches?
In boxing betting, it is allowed to bet during the fight. In fact, sportsbooks can adjust the odds all the time, and many of them allow their customers to bet on live fights while they are on. And this option is one of the most popular formats.
What types of promotions do bookmakers offer for boxing betting?
There are numerous bonuses and other special offers to encourage bettors to get involved. You can enjoy the free bet for those who try out the betting website for the first time. Also, there are bonuses that increase the deposit or loyalty bonuses with additional benefits.